Dating silverface amp
They are all very rare today and few have survived.The first amplifiers made in-house by Fender is the Woodie series, built in 1946 through 1948.Fender began using silicon rectifiers to reduce heat and voltage sag caused by tube rectifiers, and introduced an all-new, very complex vibrato circuit.
This period marked the beginning of Fender's use of Tolex to cover amp cabinets.
While the majority of the piggybacks were produced in blonde tolex, there are a few examples of the brown tolex Bassman amplifiers.
There were many notable accomplishments for the company's amplifier division during these years.
The name 'brownface' stems from the brown-colored control panels, common to both the brown- and cream/blonde- Tolex-covered amps.
The brownface amps originally featured a dark maroon or "oxblood" grillcloth, which was changed to "wheat" in 1962-63.